Hey everyone it's Jono!
After a few years of growing out my hair, I realized that long hair can do so much more than just cover my bathroom floor: I can use it to help me raise some funds for a really amazing cause!
CAMH, Canada's leading mental health hospital, is a wonderful organization that does some great research and supports a underserved group - those working their way through mental health issues.
Did you know that 1 in 5 Canadians experience mental illness in any given year? I didn't, but I can't say that I'm that surprised.
As some of you know, I was diagnosed with ADHD a couple of years ago. Luckily I have a great GP that was able to teach me a few coping mechanisms, and prescribed me medication that allowed me to finally concentrate. I was freed from constantly bouncing back and forth between reddit and facebook: finally when I wanted to, I could truly focus.
So many of us struggle through our battles with mental health in silence, alone. We are not alone. I hope that by sharing my own experiences, others will feel comfortable talking to others and reaching out for support.
I hope that through this fundraiser we can start to normalize conversations around mental health, while supporting an organization that gives so much back to society.
Enough of the serious stuff, let's have some fun! :D
There's going to be a couple possible reward levels:
- Pledge $50 and get to personally cut off a lock of Jono's hair on the day of the event (2019/06/10) at the St Clair office (exact location TBA)! You can keep the hair, or throw it in the trash, but please don't litter, Haseeb (my Director for those people outside of DGIG) will get angry at me :(
- Pledge $100 or more and shave a small portion of my head at the event (given we can find an electric razor). Don't forget to bring a small bag for your own personal patch of my hair (or we can just toss it in the can)
- My imagination isn't the best, so we're going to leave it here, but if someone has a good idea, send it my way and perhaps we can add a few more reward levels :)
- $2,000 to $2,999: I will shave my entire head head (eyebrows not included in any of these!!!)
- $3,000 to $3,999: I will leave my head however you guys cut/shaved it for a week. After which I will shave it all off, gotta even things out eventually!
- $4,000 to $4,999: I will leave my head however you guys cut/shaved it for a week, after which I will shave it all off. Over the week I will take a picture a day, and when I return from holiday, everyone who donated can vote on which shot becomes my new DGIG profile picture
- $5,000+ ... I don't know what I will do. Maybe you guys can give me suggestions? Thanks! If I don't get any suggestions that I want to agree to, we'll stick to the previous stretch goal :p